Saturday, January 09, 2010

Secrets of a Shoe Addict

It took me 5 freaking months to finish this book. I'm telling you, when school starts, I teach and then, I spend TOO MUCH time in front of the computer. I just don't take time to read. This is my 2010 resolution - take more time to read. So, in August, I started reading Secrets of a Shoe Addict by Beth Harbison.
.
Here's a resume of this book:

It's about four women brought together by—in this case—not shoes but debt. During a fateful trip to Las Vegas as chaperones of a school band trip, Loreen Murphy accidentally hires a male prostitute on the PTA credit card; pastor's-wife-with-a-past Abbey Walsh gets blackmailed by an ex-con ex-boyfriend; and usually restrained PTA president Tiffany Dreyer purchases thousands of dollars worth of clothes that she can't return. Enter the zaftig Sandra Vanderslice, who, before she started her shoe-importing business, made a living as a phone sex operator. She suggests her sister, Tiffany, hop on that gravy train to pay down her credit card bills. Loreen and Abbey join up, and soon the ladies are raking in dough and trying to hide their new source of income from husbands, kids and their snoopy nemesis, the cartoonishly judgmental Deb Leventer, who wants to take over the PTA.
.
At the beginning of the book, I was really into it, 'coz the action took place in Las Vegas. But soon, the action moved to the three girls' town. The parts with the phone sex calls were pretty funny - in fact - I believe there weren't enough of these in the book! Anyway, I actually think that I could have read that book faster and with more interest if it would have been less 'far-fectched', especially with the ex-con-ex-boyfriend. But hey! this is my opinion. I'm glad I read it all finally. That was the second Harbison's book I read - first one being Shoe Addict Anonymous which was way better than this one.
.
Rating: 3/5

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ton rating n'est pas très élevé tu deviens une critique sévère !!!
Bonne idée de délaisser un peu le
» computer » sans rancune LOL

couscous